Guide for Obtaining a Domicile
The domicile certificate was introduced in 1951 to register Pakistani citizens, according to the Daily Express, a Karachi-based daily (26 Apr. 2012). A domicile certification is issued for admission to state colleges (Academic 5 Dec. 2012; The Express Tribune 26 Apr. 2012), school systems universities (Academic 5 Dec. 2012), and government jobs, according to authorities (The Express Tribune 26 Apr. 2012). A residence certificate also is necessary for admittance to higher education institutions, according to other sources BBC 7 June 2012; University of Engineering and Technology 2012.
Federal Government could grant a certificate of domicile to every authority in connection of whom it is satisfied that he may have ordinarily resided in Pakistan for a period of just not less than one year leading up to the making of the application but has acquired a domicile within it onto an application being made to it in the specified format and containing the read the instructions. (Section 17 of Pakistan’s 1951 Constitution).
Obtaining a Certificate of Domicile (Certificate of Residence)
A certificate of residence can indeed be granted by the federal or provincial government, or any district magistrate authorized by the provincial government, as per the Pakistan Citizenship Rules, 1952. Pakistan 1952, Sec. 23. So according to Pakistan’s Citizenship Rules.
- An application for a certificate of domicile should be made in duplicate in Form P, and must be preceded by an affidavit affirming the truth of the statements made in it, and that the applicant still hadn’t migrated to India after March 1, 1947, or even that, having done as such, had brought back to Pakistan under a permit for relocation or permanent return issuance via an officer auth.
- Any authority with whom an application is viewed has the right to require whatever evidence it deems essential to fulfill itself that the facts presented in the application are accurate and also that the applicant has also been continuously citizen in Pakistan for at least yet another year and intends to live there permanently in Pakistan.
According to sources, when applying for a job
According to sources, an applicant needs to provide the following information when applying for a certificate of domicile, his or her name; parent’s name; place of residence in Pakistan; previous address from outside Pakistan; date of arrival at the place of domicile; marital status; the name of spouse; names of children and one’s ages; barter or occupation; and identifying marks. The above information included in a certificate of domicile obtained from the police website in the town of Jhelum in Punjab Province, and also the individual’s portrait in the lower right-hand corner of the certificate.
What is a Domicile Certificate?
In general, a state government issues a domicile certificate or a residence certificate to verify that now the individual who possesses the certificate is a resident of the state or union territory stated on the document. A woman who was not born in a Union territory but is married to a man who is a legal citizen of that State or Union Territory or is qualified is for State’s or Union Territory’s Domicile Certificate also is able to qualify for one.
A domicile certificate is a certificate that allows people to obtain numerous benefits such as education, employment, as well as other benefits. Resident Quotas inside the Public Service and educational institutions, and also jobs where area residents are preferred.
How to apply for a domicile in Islamabad?
Per the official government website of an Islamabad Capital Territory, anybody who has lived in Islamabad for a year or longer is able to qualify for an Islamabad domicile. Unless they already hold a domicile from some other city, they must have the existing document annulled while applying for just a fresh one. The following is a list of documents needed to obtain a Certificate of Domicile in Islamabad.
Applicants above the age of 21 should submit the following information
- Proof of profession or trade
- two pictures (passport size)
- A photocopy of the applicant’s CNIC is required.
- A copy of a father’s or husband’s CNIC is necessary.
- one rental agreement from the beginning (electricity, gas, or telephone)
- A copy of proof of address in Islamabad, such as a lease agreement or an allotment letter
- If you do have children, a copy of Form-B is needed.
- In the case of government workers, a letter of permission from the department is required.
- a photocopy of your SSC or matriculation certificates
- A copy of a Marriage Registration Certificate in the case of married people.
- A NOC from the native district is required if you have a dual address on your CNIC.
Applicants under the age of 21 must complete the following steps
- 2 photos of passport size
- A photocopy of the applicant’s CNIC or Along card is required.
- A copy of the mother’s or father’s CNIC is necessary.
- 1 copy of a parent(s)’ Domicile Certificate, upon which applicant’s name appears
- A photocopy of your SSC or Matric certificate, as well as evidence of your trade or occupation
The Application Process For Domicile In Islamabad
The following is a step-by-step guide to applying for Domicile in the capital city.
- Send a PKR 200 challan to the National Bank of Pakistan’s F-8 Markaz branch or the State Bank of Pakistan’s C-03806 District Magistrate Islamabad account.
- Bring your challan receipt, application form for domicile document, as well as other necessary documents to a Citizen Facilitation Centre in Islamabad.
- Wait for your round by taking a token from the counter.
- Pay the processing fee of PKR 500 at the desk whenever you come in for data entry.
- Your e-receipt will be emailed to you.
- Pick up your Domicile Certificate at the Citizen Facilitation Centre mostly on an e-receipt date.
It is important to mention that when applying for a Domicile in Islamabad, the applicant must appear in person with his or her authentic documentation.
The following are the contact details for the Citizen Facilitation Centre in Islamabad
- Address: G-11/4, Islamabad, ICT Administration Complex
- Phone: 051-9108194
- Submission Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday
- Delivery Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday
- Processing Time: 7 days
- Total Fee: (Challan + Processing Fee) PKR 700
How To Apply For Domicile In Lahore?
Those interested in obtaining a Domicile in Lahore should go to the provincial government’s e-Khidmat Markaz.
Documents Required In Lahore For A Domicile Certificate
Let’s have a look just at the documents required to achieve a Lahore Domicile.
- Forms P and P1, duly completed and signed by the applicant
- The affidavit submitted by the applicant and certified by Oath Commissioner on PKR 50 stamp paper (Optional)
- Two passport-size photos with such a white backdrop are needed.
- CNIC or B-form documentation of the applicant
- Bank receipt with such a copy of the father’s or husband’s CNIC AC Verification Form, that might or might not be certified.
- At least one of the Entitlement Documents listed below will be required.
- Documents proving ownership of property Fard, ownership paperwork, or a housing registry, for instance.
- Electricity, gas, and phone bills
- Certification of residency (rental agreement)
- Documents Academic Disciplines (Matriculation or above certificate)
- The applicant’s vote is registered on the voter list of the UC.
The Domicile Application Process In Lahore
- Have a challan form from of the e-Khidmat Markaz or the nearest National Bank of Pakistan branch.
- Pay the PKR 200 challan
- Collect the required Domicile request form from e-Khidmat Markaz. You can also obtain it ahead of schedule from the e-Khidmat Markaz official government site.
- Fill out all the Domicile Application Form and link them with your other documents.
- Once you’ve appropriately diagnosis your documents and applicant, you’ll send an automated.
- Enter your tracking ID on the e-Khidmat Markaz website to track your application. You could also use their SMS Gateway by sending your application ID to 9100, calling their toll-free line, or installing their mobile app.
- Get your Certificate of Domicile (Certificate of Residence).
To apply for just a Domicile in Lahore, the applicant has to go to the center in person.
The following is the list of the e-Khidmat Markaz in Lahore.
- Lower Mall, Anarkali, Lahore; Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (T
- 042-99214572 is the phone number to call.
- 0800-09100 is a toll-free number.
- Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Lunch Break: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. on all days except Friday | 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Friday
- PKR 200 (total fee)
- 16-day processing time
In Karachi, the procedure for obtaining a domicile and a PRC is as follows:
But if you’re a Karachi resident who requires a domicile and PRC (Permanent Residential Certificate) for educational or employment purposes, deliver the following documents to the Deputy Director Office in your district.
Karachi’s Domicile and PRC Requirements
- Unattested five (5x) pictures (passport size)
- CNIC (original and copy) – Attested (for those under the age of 18 years, submit a copy of Form -B).
- Verified copies of all academic transcript back to the modern year
- Applicants under the age of 21 must provide copies of their CNIC and their father’s address.
- In the case of the government employee, a copy of their employment certificate which has been attested is required.
- Attested proof of residence (electric or gas bill, if on rent copy of rent agreement)
- For married male or female, a copy of their spouse’s CNIC, copies of their children’s identity documents, or Form B – Attested
In Karachi, how to go with Domicile and PRC
- At National Bank, D.C. Office Branch, pay a charge challan of Rs. 200/-.
- Place just one stamp on every copy.
- Before submitting applications for domicile, have it attested by an Oath Commissioner.
- If necessary, the head of the department can demand anyone else document as proof.
- Domicile and PRC Instructions in Karachi
- You must bring your original documents and a set of photocopies with you.
- Domicile business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- In case of applying for domicile and PRC, the applicant’s CNIC must have an address in the same Karachi district.
Luxury Homes With Peaceful Colour Palettes & Bright Skylights
Do you like Architecture and Interior Design? Follow us ..
Thank you. You have been subscribed.
Modern luxury thrives on an understated shape, peaceful color palettes and spacious room arrangements. Here we look at three inspiring home interiors, pictured by Shexia Space Design, which highlight grace and refinement with crisp neutral, luxurious contemporary furniture and a totally delightful taste. We also notice how these elegant interiors benefit from the inclusion of bright skylights that transform the very essence of each place in completely individual ways. These windows to the sky open an unusual modern fireplace corner, illuminate a courtyard full of beautiful glass art, create a water-refracted play of light over a luxurious dining room and brighten up a home office sitting on a glass mezzanine.
Did you like this article?
Share it on some of the following social networking channels below to give us your vote. Your feedback helps us improve.
Other related interior design ideas may appeal to you
Staycation on the balcony with eBay · Happy Interior Blog
(Ad/Werbung) I think we will all agree that 2020 will be a special year on so many levels. June is in full swing here and life regains some normality again yet there is no planning or scheduling of summer vacations whatsoever. And maybe it will be tricky to really go somewhere on vacations but then again – remember you have a home that can turn into your favorite travel spot too. The key is finding happiness in your own space and creating your staycation experience – this year more than ever! Together with eBay I embarked on this exact voyage: I am taking you to a balcony staycation retreat with hints of Morocco. Shall we?
Together with eBay I created exactly that – a little staycation oasis on the balcony – perfectly matching the hashtag #ZuhauseImUrlaub which translates to ‘vacations at home’ or simply staycation. If you wonder why eBay: well the answer is pretty obvious. eBay offers a wide range of products, new and vintage, to recreate a travel experience in your own home, on your balcony, or in your garden. Not only will you find literally everything on eBay, but you will also manage to ‘travel on budget’ as many vintage items are much cheaper than new products in regular stores. But I will not bore you with figures and facts, I’d rather show you this example of a balcony staycation – I opted for a contemporary vibe with hints of Morocco. And yes, I found all these items on eBay!
I am a regular hunter on eBay looking mostly for vintage items and plants. Yes plants! You can also buy plants on eBay. For this little project I added a tall Fiddle fig and a Yucca to the balcony. The table is more of a contemporary look but the other details highlight some Moroccan and bohemian vibes such as the beautiful kilim cushion covers, the swinging chair, the baskets and the Moroccan vintage silver lantern. That’s how easy eBay brings your perfect staycation experience right to your home, balcony, or garden. Now tell me, wouldn’t you feel like on vacation on this cute balcony? I certainly do!
I found the following items on eBay for this Moroccan inspired balcony styling:
The hanging chair with hook and spring for hanging, the little metal side table, kilim cushions (similar to these), the Fiddle fig and Yucca palm, woven baskets, the woven pouf, beige seat cushions and the rush mat to cover the balcony railing.
I hope this blog post inspires you to see your home as not only your shelter and safe haven, but also as your potential next travel destination. You are the captain, you decide where you will go to next and eBay is just one click away to help you recreate that travel destination right at home! Happy staycationing!
This blog post has been brought to you in collaboration with eBay. As always all opinions and photos are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands who support this blog!
Photography by Sophia Mayrhofer
Kitchen Cabinet Organization Tips | Custom Cabinets
A home kitchen rarely, if ever, looks like it might belong on a showroom floor. We simply use the space too much in our busy, day-to-day lives. This is why proper organization and space planning are crucial, whether you’re looking at a complete kitchen remodel or just ways to improve your current organizational habits.
In need of fresh ideas or maybe a push in the right direction for getting your kitchen ready for the upcoming spring? Follow along with the custom design team at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens while we detail some of the simplest and most effective ways to organize your kitchen space.
Quick & Simple Tips
Much of the clutter and mess that resides in any kitchen space comes as a result of daily use. Misplaced bags and scattered appliances add up over time, eventually leaving you with a maddening clutter. Use these simple tips to stay ahead:
- Sift out old appliances and kitchen tools. It seems like every year adds another oddball tool or never-used set of silver. Take the time to pull everything out and really examine whether or not you need all of your kitchen tools.
- Upgrade food storage. Tupperware, baskets, and plastics can provide a very effective means of corralling food items and keeping them separate. This means less wasted space and a much more visually appealing kitchen and pantry.
- Organize according to importance. Items you use every single day, such as a blender or important food staples, should be kept somewhere easily accessible. This helps you avoid the issue of wrestling around and trying to grab things that should be easy to find.
- Make use of wall space. Never neglect the fact that you have plenty of usable space along walls. Strategic shelving frees up lots of room and can look smart with your kitchen design at the same time.
Investments for Better Organization
Keeping up can only do so much, and for many of us, space is always at a premium. However, there are many ways to add functional space to a kitchen, and many can be done with a minimal to moderate investment:
- Upgrade to custom cabinetry. Most homes are fitted with simple cabinets that are more dressing than substance. Custom cabinets can be created to fit you and your needs with precision. That means everything where you want it, accessories you actually need, and cabinets that look great and will last for decades.
- Overhaul your floor plan. If all else fails, remember you’re not stuck with what you have! A kitchen remodels can be the right way to match your space to what you want most and offer tons of extra storage and functionality.
Spring Kitchen Design Trends – باورچی خانے کے ڈیزائن کے رجحانات
With the spring season finally deciding to make an appearance, you might be feeling a bit inspired. We are, too! The turning of a season marks the perfect time for a change of scenery, and spring particularly tends to get our creativity engines running at full speed.
Considering making some changes to your kitchen this spring? Maybe something simple, or maybe even a complete remodel project? Our team is happy to say that we’re ready to help! Follow along with the lead design team at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens while we talk about what’s trending this year.
5 Spring Kitchen Design Trends in 2018
1. Colors are looking a bit different.
We wouldn’t go so far as to say colors are getting simpler, but they are getting considerably more streamlined, which is a trend that has been going on for many years now. Florals and standard pastels are out. Instead, homeowners are looking to brighter accents paired with white or earthy wooden custom cabinetry. This makes the space look cleaner, more open, and decidedly more spring.
2. When it comes to appliances, modern is the way to go.
With the holidays firmly behind us, homeowners find spring to be the perfect time to update old, weak appliances. In particular, smart home technology is making a very strong showing. Items like wi-fi or app-connected ovens and ranges are very popular, as well as motion- or presence-activated water fixtures. As for color, most are preferring standard black or sleek, modern steel—occasionally even brushed metal. This way, they look nice and clean, and they don’t interrupt the flow of your space or color scheme.
3. Many homeowners are updating storage with custom solutions.
There’s likely no kitchen out there that doesn’t suffer from a lack of space. This, in turn, creates chaos in a space built for enjoyment, relaxation, and cooking. Chaotic space doesn’t suit these activities, and homeowners are taking note of this. The pursuit of custom-made cabinetry and modified cabinets is becoming nearly standard now, helping you create a neat and organized kitchen ready for springtime decorating.
4. Contemporary seems to be the most popular choice.
While there has been a major rush to modernize kitchen spaces with more streamlined color schemes and higher-grade appliances, homeowners clearly don’t want to lose those last vestiges of a “comfortable” kitchen space. This leads many to pursue more of a blend of rustic and modern, landing them squarely in the contemporary direction. This way, you get your smart-looking tools and sleek quartz countertops, but you also get to enjoy pleasant wood flooring and maybe a rich wood—like cherry—for your cabinets.
5. Kitchens are opening up.
That idyllic breakfast with the family on an early spring morning has never faded away. However, since many homes don’t really have the space to accommodate a full dining area, plenty of homeowners are opting to open up their kitchen space to mesh the two areas. This not only saves space, but it also creates a pleasant openness that many are finding more than agreeable.
What does home mean to you? گھر سے آپ کا کیا مطلب ہے؟
(Werbung/Ad) More than ever we are faced with the question: what does home mean to us? In these crazy times of uncertainty with Covid-19 being a daily topic around the world and calls to stay home, avoid social gatherings and try our best to slow down the infection rate, many of us find ourselves ‘confined’ in our homes. But is this truly a bad thing or can we learn something out of this? And now that we are more at home than before: what does your home mean to you? What does our interior space say about our state of mind and our relationship to the exterior space?
These thoughts are a sort of concoction of the recent events and an exhibition that I visited recently in Munich’s famous ‘Haus der Kunst’. Based on the art historical genre of interior painting, the exhibition “Interiorities” unites four artists – Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Leonor Antunes, Henrike Naumann and Adriana Varejão – who explore the relationship between the interior and exterior in their works. I went to see the exhibition twice as it does require you to reflect and find your way of mental dialogue with the exhibited art pieces and installations. Additionally, it requires you to reflect out of the context of the exhibition itself and put your interior space and your personality and mind in relationship to the exterior world. So I had to go and visit the exhibition a second time.
I will not delve to deep into the meaning as art is a subjective matter and everyone will interpret art in their own ways. For me one key question arose while visiting the exhibition: Do I need to search for the answer to the aforementioned question below the surface? Most certainly yes. But is it under the surface of what makes my home or is it beyond the objects that make a home? Is it rather under the surface of my intentions, choices and preferences, that define my home? Does the outer world impact my choices and do we create cozy nests because of and underlying and luring feeling of ‘angst’ of the uncontrollable exterior world? Do we create social spaces because we want to invite the outside in and make our homes a place of coming together? For a deep-dive I invite you to read the article ‘The Cosmos in a Room’ by Anna Schneider. Pretty intriguing if you ask me!
For me as an interior design blogger it is extra interesting as I am consciously also sharing my home with thousands of other people. How much of my personality do I share with others or in other words: what does my interior space tell about me to others? The museum ‘Haus der Kunst’ launched a cool social media campaign named #INTERIORITIES where it invites people to share what their home means to them using the hashtag #INTERIORITIES. The best entries will be shared on the website of the museum and their social media accounts respectively. Additionally, at the end of the campaign the museum will give away some cool prizes. Join in, I will start with a few pictures of my current home here and on Instagram. The campaign INTERIORITIES runs until March 29th 2020. UPDATE: The museum is currently closed due to the Covid-19 crisis and will reopen mid April.
Photography by Igor Josifovic
Kitchen Renovation Tips – کچن کی تزئین و آرائش کے نکات
Smaller, smarter, and more concise kitchens have evolved from a niche market to a near necessity for most homeowners. Kitchens are rooms that are notorious for eating up all of the available space, leaving you little room to actually perform tasks or simply relax. To remedy this, downsizing has become the preferred solution, but most still do not want to lose out on visual appeal or customization. If you want to significantly downsize the kitchen, it could be a sign that you are ready to move to a smaller location.
There is a way to get this done right. There are many ways, actually, and the team at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens is here to help guide you through the process.
Before Anything Else, Downsize Things
Before you make any major moves or start your complete kitchen redesign, it is paramount that you determine what kind of space you actually have. Beyond that, now is the perfect time to rid yourself of unnecessary knick-knacks and junk, because even a perfect remodel cannot stand up to the burgeoning tide of kitchen tools.
Why did you purchase that infomercial potato-peeling monstrosity? We don’t know, but we do know that it’s an affliction that seems to strike us all. So, before any real planning begins, strip down to appliances and utensils that you actually use. If possible, shoot for modernizing your appliances as a whole since the compact and smart design is the trend that has been commanding kitchen markets for years.
Second, Address Storage
Once you’re down to things you genuinely care about and use, it’s time to find those things home. We all fall in love with gorgeous dinnerware and excellent tools, but these all command a considerable amount of space, and so finding room for it all is top on the list. To accomplish this, you can:
- Customize your cabinets. Custom cabinetry is not only higher quality and longer-lasting product, but it also sports considerable points in the downsizing department. Create cabinets that mold to your kitchen, only using as much space as needed to retain the room’s flow.
- Install partitioning and shelving in cabinet spaces. Once the cabinets are in place, capitalize on the storage they provide with partitioning and shelves. This makes planning far simpler and avoids the dreaded “just toss it in.”
- Go vertical. Walls are not to be ignored when it comes to storage. Decoration and art are all well, but a few carefully placed shelves or hooks can add plenty of places for things to go and look attractive as well.
- Look into recessed storage. Still, lacking storage or don’t like the idea of cupboards and lazy Susans all over the place? Not a problem. Storage can be inserted nearly anywhere when you go with recessed storage design.
Rebuild from the Ground Up with a Kitchen Remodel
Occasionally, a kitchen is far beyond some spring cleaning and organization. Maybe your home was originally built quite a while back, so it sports none of the space-conscious design of a modern home. Or maybe your family has grown. There is still hope in these situations, too, and it can even be quite fun.
A complete kitchen remodel gives you the chance to start new and fresh and to truly create a kitchen that is you. Now, you simply need to find the right design team. And lucky you…we’re right here!
2020 Kitchen Design Trends – 2020 کچن ڈیزائن کے رجحانات
Is your kitchen outdated? Does it fail to meet the needs of your growing family? If you’re interested in a kitchen to remodel this year, be sure the changes you make will improve the room’s appearance and functionality with trendy designs for 2019 and beyond. Here are three trends you might want to incorporate when you redesign your kitchen this year.
Part of what makes a kitchen functional is the ability to keep everything you need close at hand without cluttering the countertop. This means incorporating ample storage that cleverly hides away when you’re not using it. Examples of kitchen storage ideas that utilize wasted space include:
- Lazy Susans or corner drawers
- Slide-out shelving
- Under-cabinet garbage can storage
- Shelves and drawers built into every side of the island
Unique Cabinetry Colors & Designs
When you close the drawers and doors in your kitchen, you want the cabinets to look fabulous. Several colors and designs are trending in 2019, giving you plenty of ways to incorporate the look you want while remaining stylish.
- Bright colors: Make your cabinets a statement piece by replacing your ordinary white or wood ones with gray-washed blue, seafoam green, or mustard yellow cabinetry.
- Two-tone: Can’t decide on a single color? Incorporate dark lower cabinets and white upper cabinets to give your kitchen a classy “tuxedo” appearance.
- Open shelving: Who says you have to have cabinets at all? Many kitchens in 2019 have replaced some portions of upper cabinetry with metal, wood, or glass shelving. It’s a particularly good idea if you have dishes and cookware you want to show off.
Technology continues to shape home designs, including kitchens. Wi-Fi connected appliances make it possible to control your espresso maker or check what’s in the fridge from anywhere. Smart light switches add a modern flair, both in appearance and in the high-tech way it lets you control your kitchen lighting.
Marble Kitchen Countertops? | Custom Kitchens
Pros & Cons of Using Marble in the Kitchen
One of the most commons things we hear is, “We’re thinking about putting marble countertops in
our kitchen, what do you think?” Marble countertops are beautiful and make a
great addition to a home if you’re looking to create a contemporary-style
kitchen. But some are wary of the stone, so get the truth about putting marble
in your kitchen!
Do Marble Countertops Stain?
When homeowners are considering their options for their kitchen countertops, the counter’s
resistance to stains is always a big factor. Marble is more porous than
materials like quartz and granite, allowing for substances like oil to more
easily stain and seep into the stone. But many homeowners with marble kitchen
counters have said they don’t notice stains becoming a big issue. Yes, grease
and oil may absorb into your marble, but if your counters are sealed well,
staining is not a major concern. Those with marble countertops say that small
stains are easily cleaned and will disappear in time.
Is Scratching & Etching a Problem for Marble Counters?
Marble is a softer stone than granite or quartz, meaning that it allows for scratches, chips, and
etching. The etching is when water and acidic liquids can leave slightly visible
markings. Homeowners with marble kitchen countertops note that scratching and
etching are more of an issue than staining, though these marks aren’t incredibly
noticeable. Over time, these scratches and marks become less and less obvious,
and with the proper care, your counters will gain a slight patina (a gloss or
sheen on a surface resulting from age or polishing) that also helps to hide
scratches or water rings. So, yes: Marble countertops are more easily scratched
and etched than other materials, but it’s up to the homeowner to properly
maintain them. Perfectionists may not be able to live with the markings, so
this factor is mainly a personal preference.
How Does the Cost of Marble Compare to Other Materials?
The cost of
countertops varies based on style and type, as well as the size of your
kitchen. Natural stone materials such as granite and marble are more expensive
that other options like quartz. Many assume that marble is on the pricier end
of the spectrum, but many marbles have about the same cost of less expensive
granite countertops. Depending on your budget, marble can be a very affordable
Should You Get Marble Countertops in Your Kitchen?
There are certainly are lot of countertop options for homeowners to choose from including quartz,
granite, tile, and marble. The material you choose will depend on the look of
the kitchen you want and how often you plan on cleaning and maintaining your
counters. For those who want a low-maintenance countertop that doesn’t stain or
scratch easily, marble may not be the best choice. But for others who know they
want the unique look of marble and are okay with small imperfections, marble
countertops are a beautiful, affordable option for any kitchen.
Spring Balcony Decoration – بہار کی بالکونی کی سجاوٹ
With the majority of us being in some sort of lockdown, we have all become more aware of our home and what it means to be at home. Since we are all supposed to stay at home, I wanted to start this mini blog series of ideas that keep me busy and sane at home. I am spending this lockdown alone at home and it can get tedious over time as I am missing my husband, my family, my friends. But then there is home – that never ending source of work and inspiration. And since spring has sprung, my first ideas is to prep my balcony and turn it into a spring balcony!
Now you might say: what an idea, but I don’t have a balcony! We will get to that too, no worries! But let me tell you first a bit about my balcony spring prepping. Additionally, I want to share some simple but handy tips for your balcony projects too. Let’s roll, shall we?
I will give you here a few tips for shadowy balconies in particular as my balcony is basically all day in the shade and only receives a little amount of indirect, reflected light. However, a shadowy balcony does not need to be colorless and without plants. My recommendation in general is simply to ask the staff at your local garden center, they always know what works best and usually also have an entire section with ‘plants for the shade’. But I will get to some concrete plant recommendations in the tips. Here we go:
– Gardening tools: If you have a small balcony like me you do not need to invest in big and expensive tools. Basically all you need is a pair of gardening gloves, a little shovel and some nice and sharp gardening knives for pruning. For this project I teamed up with the Swiss brand Victorinox. Some of you might know this brand mostly from their handy Swiss pocket knives, but did you know they also have practical gardening knives and flower knives? Since I love plants and flowers, guess what – I got myself both options as well as a practical pocket knife for outdoors – when the time returns for us to go out and bring back cuttings from forests.
For this blogpost I teamed up with Victorinox and received their gardening tools: the pruning knife features a hook shaped blade and is the perfect tool to cut back plants and even bigger shrubs in your garden, on your balcony or even in nature if you want to bring back twigs. Also, it is ideal to chop old plants into pieces for compost when you redo your balcony or garden.
The floral knife comes in perfect pocket size with a straight and sharp blade and is the ideal tool to cut book flowers or little blooms. This handy tool comes in various colors and my choice was pretty obvious, right?
Last but not least, the Forester Wood pocket knife is my new tool for when I am out and about in nature to collect cuttings, twigs, branches, and more. This pocket knife is equipped with 10 fully integrated functions and is crafted in beautiful walnut.
– Plants & Soil: Now that you have sorted your basic tools, you need fresh plants and soil for your balcony project. As mentioned I have a shadowy balcony so I opted for ideal plants that can thrive in those conditions but that will equally add some spring colors to my little oasis. Pansies, daffodils and hydrangeas work well and are great for all kind of balconies. Additionally, I chose a tiarella, a spurge, a little sedge, and a dead-nettle. These new plants accompany some of my perennials such as a few coral bells (heuchera), an older hydrangea, white lavender, rosemary, and a hosta. Regular plant soil and special soil for hydrangeas was delivered too and I was ready to get my fingers in the dirt.
– Prune back perennials: If you have flowering perennials on your balcony or in your garden, do not forget to prune the old flowers to encourage new blooming. This is a tip especially for beginners among you. If you have a hydrangea for example, always cut back the old dried flowers from last year and cut just above the first pair of new buds. Usually, hydrangeas you would cut back even around end of February or early March. Also other perennials need a nice cleaning – not only for the look but also to foster new growth of fresh leaves and flowers. I pruned my hydrangea and cleaned out all my coral bells and removed the old flowers of the lavender.
– Remove wilted flowers: If you already planted some flowering plants on your balcony (think of pansies for example) and frosty nights occurred, some flowers might be frozen and wilted overnight. Also due to transportation after buying new plants (or getting them delivered nowadays), some flowers are wilted and not nice. Prune those back as this encourages new blooming. This is especially valid for the ever popular pansies.
– Plant wisely: Now make a little plan where you want to put each plant. I made a simple sketch on paper to visualize where the plants will go. My tip: Double check online if there is any issue of placing some plants in the same pot next to each other. This happens although luckily not so often with decorative plants. However, remember to leave enough space in the pots for plants to grow. The size you got them from the florist or garden center is just the status quo – it will grow and it will need space to expand.
– Fresh flowers cut back: Not only I planted some outdoor plants, but I also chose to give the final spring touch with a bunch of tulips in a vase. For any kind of cut flowers remember to always give them a fresh cut before placing them in a vase. Cut the stems diagonally with a sharp knife (remember the handy Victorinox floral knife) and avoid scissors – a blunt kitchen knife or scissors will harm the stems or crush them thus hindering their abilities to soak up water and stay fresh for a longer period.
– I have no balcony nor garden: Now in cities many of us end up not having a balcony nor a garden. But hey, don’t consider it a constraint but rather a creativity challenge during lockdown! As the weather gets better, reconsider the area around your sunniest window. Can you make some space there to create a little ‘balcony vibe’? If so, get a comfy chair a little side table, some houseplants and create a balcony atmosphere indoors. When the weather is nice, open the windows wide, let the sunshine and spring air in, maybe you even want to add some flower box outside if possible? If not add some flowering plants on the windowsill and enjoy your ‘indoors balcony’.
Now get your fingers in the dirt and have fun prepping your balcony for the spring! And once the joyful task of planting your balcony is accomplished, I recommend rewarding yourself with a slice of cake and a cup of coffee. Maybe your favorite book or some good music in the background will make the experience even better. And one thing is for sure: Now you will have your beautiful green oasis at home and staying at home will be much easier! Stay healthy, stay safe!
Photography by Igor Josifovic
Choosing a Kitchen Sink | Maryland Kitchen Remodeling
A kitchen sink may
seem like a minor detail during a kitchen renovation, but since you’ll be using it daily, it is
important to choose the best one to fit your usage patterns, kitchen style, and
personal tastes. With hundreds of premanufactured choices available as well as
endless custom options, this can be a challenge. Here are a few factors to
consider when choosing a kitchen sink:
Size & Shape
If you prefer to wash
most of your dishes by hand, a deep dual-bowl sink is often the best choice.
With typical depths of eight to 10 inches, and either a 60/40 split or a 50/50
split, a dual bowl sink offers one bowl for washing and one for rinsing, or one
for soaking while washing and rinsing in the other. Triple-bowl sinks add even
more flexibility, often with a smaller, dedicated bowl for the Best Garbage Disposal.
If you primarily use a dishwasher, a large, single bowl sink may be the best
choice, with plenty of room to pre-soak large pans or a complete load of
Choosing kitchen sinks
with rounded corners and edges often makes cleaning them easier, while D-shaped
sinks offer more flexibility for oddly-shaped items, along with easier cleaning
than straight-sided sinks.
Countertop sinks offer
a fast, hassle-free installation, especially in counters made from materials
like granite or stone that are more difficult to work with. They simply drop
into the opening from above, are secured from below, and are sealed with a bead
of caulk between the lip of the sink and the countertop. A disadvantage of this
type of sink is that dirt and grime can accumulate under the lip, and the
raised edge makes cleaning the counters more difficult. For a cleaner
installation that can match your countertop, consider an undermount sink.
Installed from below the counter, undermount sinks feature a smooth, lip-free
edge that does not catch dirt and makes wiping food particles from the counter
to the garbage disposal easy.
If you prefer a classic or vintage look, choose a farmhouse sink. Instead of mounting
in the center of the countertop, hidden from view, farmhouse sinks extend to
the front of the cabinets, proudly displaying the sink with a modified base
cabinet below. Farmhouse sinks offer more room for washing dishes or preparing
food, along with a distinct style that sets your kitchen apart.
Material & Finish
Stainless steel sinks
are extremely popular for their clean, modern looks, their long-term
durability, and how easy they are to keep clean, with a finish that resists
stains and damage. If you do not like the color or look of stainless steel, an
enamel sink may be a great alternative, and they are available in many styles
and colors while providing similar strength and performance to stainless steel
For an attractive,
custom look, consider a stone or granite composite undermount sink. They can
blend in completely with your countertop for a seamless appearance, or they can
offer a pleasing contrast with solid colors. Stone or granite sinks require
occasional maintenance and greater care to avoid damage, but their superior aesthetics
make them an excellent option.
Custom Kitchen Design in Maryland, DC & Northern VA
choosing a kitchen sink? Talk to our experts at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens or
stop by our showroom for design ideas today. We have been creating
high-quality custom kitchens for over 30 years, and we can help you select the
best products for your needs and budget.
or contact us online to schedule an appointment today!
Clean Out the Bookshelf · Happy Interior Tips
This week I have started my new mini blog series ‘Stay Home Ideas’ for us to keep us busy and entertained while we are more or less quarantined in our homes. Now I reckon some of you are busy with work from the home office, homeschooling kids, cooking, doing other chores, but hey, now is the time to also tick off some of the duties that have lingered for like ever on our to-do lists, no? So one of my everlasting to-dos was cleaning out my bookshelf. And I must say, it was dreary to start with, but now it feels so much better. Or as my husband put it: it releases unnecessarily contained energy. It sure does.
So here are just a few tips that helped me with cleaning out my bookshelf:
– Divide the task in bite-size bits: I dedicated one level per day. That was easier to tackle and gave me enough time to go through every book and item and consider do I keep it or toss it. Moreover, this gives you time to sleep over your decisions and reconsider the next day. Which is actually my tip no. 2.
– Sleep over your keep or toss decision: Pile up everything you want to get rid off and rearrange all the books and items you want to keep. No sleep over it. Go back the next day and check: do you really want to keep everything you put back in? Or can something else go? And what about the toss pile? Sure about everything? Maybe there’s something you wanna give a friend?
– Make little arrangements: I like to combine a few books and some decorative items to create little vignettes in my bookshelf unit. Keep it airy and leave space between your arrangements. I prefer it now as every shelf has some empty and airy space. Nevertheless I am still a collector obviously and not a minimalist. But hey, you can make it a tad more airy and fresh.
– Books as art: Probably you have some books that you love for their beautiful cover too. If so, why not highlight such a book (or a few of them) by placing them like art pieces in your bookshelf?
– Donate books: What to do with the pile of books you decided to toss? I don’t know about you, but I can’t throw books away! Additionally, right now it is tricky as most thrift shops or charity shops are closed too. I actually put a pile of books in front of my building for people to take away and some other books I will offer to some friends. What remains goes to the basement and will be donated to the charity shop once things are back to normal.
So that’s all for today. Simple but effective I promise! And I also promise you will feel much better and much happier about your refreshed bookshelf once you cleaned it out a bit. Stay home, stay healthy, stay creative!
Kitchen Design Trends for 2020 | Colors, Materials & Ideas
Is your kitchen a bit outdated? If you are considering a kitchen
renovation to start the new year and the new decade out fresh, be sure to
check out these kitchen design trends for 2020. From the return of wood
cabinets to showy, bright colors, there is something for everyone.
Create the kitchen of your dreams with our team at Jack
Rosen Custom Kitchens. Stop by our Rockville
showroom, contact us online, or call 301-363-4064 to start
the design process today! We serve Maryland, Northern Virginia, and the
Washington, DC area.
Dark Kitchens and Countertops
While many homeowners opt for light colors like white for their
universal appeal, a recent trend toward darker colors adds a bit of excitement
and creates a warm, cozy space. From dark counters to black accent walls and
cabinets, the look can be striking, if not a bit overpowering.
A Bit of Color
At the opposite end of the kitchen color spectrum is a
classic white kitchen with the occasional splash of bright color. This could be
a light blue stove and refrigerator or brightly colored red or yellow
cabinetry. Many designs echo the pastel colors from the 50s and 60s, adding a
bit of nostalgia, and retro-style appliances can finish the look.
Adding Warm Colors With Wood
Wood cabinets are making a return, with light-colored
species like ash, beech, or pine adding a bit of warmth without the dark
accents common to walnut or mahogany. Combined with stone counters or flooring,
cabinetry can bring out and compliment the natural coloration of the stone.
Workspace is always at a premium in a kitchen, and by adding
an extra island, you can create two workstations with differing functions. For
instance, with one dedicated to prep, complete with a sink or stove, and the
other supporting a set of bar-height stools, you could work and entertain
Many homeowners are ditching the plain, utilitarian stove
hood for something with a bit more style. From custom steel hoods to painted or
custom-shaped hoods with plenty of unique accents, the modern stove hood is
more than just a way to eliminate cooking fumes; it can now be a piece of art.
Upper cabinets are becoming less and less prevalent in the
modern kitchen design,
with many homeowners opting for open shelving instead. A set of simple,
attractive shelves can make the ideal place to display fine china, your
favorite glassware, seasonal cooking supplies, fresh fruits and vegetables, or
your treasured knick-knacks and heirlooms.
Custom Kitchen Designs in MD, DC & VA
Are you ready to build your custom kitchen? For
award-winning designs, quality craftsmanship, and superior service, choose our
team at Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens. We offer complete kitchen
remodeling services, custom kitchen designs, custom kitchen cabinetry
installations, and more. Located in Rockville, MD, we serve Maryland, Northern
Virginia, and the entire Washington, DC area.
Clean Out the Bedroom
Let us continue with our ‘Stay Home Ideas’ during this quarantine period, shall we? After prepping the balcony for spring and cleaning out the bookshelf, it is time to move on to a new room: today I am sharing a few tips with you that helped me cleaning out the bedroom. Most of us know the situation: Hangers and hangers full of clothes, piles of bedlinen, towels, cushions, blankets. But when was the last time you wore that shirt or used that blanket or bed linen? Oh well, I could not answer those questions in many cases. So the only answer was: toss, toss, toss.
But I know, it is not always easy to let go of those perfectly fine clothes, the almost new bed linen, the soft blankets and cushions. However, you will feel much better once you get that surplus weight out of your bedroom. At least I do now. So let me share just a few tips that helped me clean out the bedroom:
– Structure the workload: Don’t overwhelm yourself with a huge task like cleaning out the entire bedroom in one day. Chances are you will procrastinate all the time as it is quite a dreary task. Instead, see it as a step-by-step process. Divide the workload into manageable pieces and work them off day by day (define your own rhythm).
– Avoid trying clothes on: Oh my, that shirt. And those trousers. Maybe I could wear those again. Let’s try them. Nope! Don’t! This will give you second thoughts and chances are you will decide to keep them for that special day – the day that will never come, let’s be honest! Do you remember the last time you wore that piece of clothes? No? Time to go! Bye-bye birdie!
– Get rid of the things immediately: Once you started cleaning out, you will end up with piles and bags of old clothes, bedding, cushions. Truth be told, I am equally stressed out by those piles lining my hallway and waiting to be removed. Get rid of everything as soon as you cleaned it out. Less clogging and you will not be tempted to go again through the piles and have a second thought about this or that shirt.
– Don’t bin, donate: I bet most of the clothes and home textiles that you will clean out are in perfectly good shape. It is the case here at least. If your things are fine and clean, put them in big bags and donate those – we have containers for second-hand clothes and home textiles here. Also, there are welfare shops for people with lower income who are happy to accept clothes and home textiles. Donate, do not bin unless it is torn and not nice anymore.
– Rearrange your wardrobe: Once you cleaned out the wardrobe, rearrange it by type of clothes and/or colors. This will help you notice if you still have a surplus of blue shirts, striped T-shirts, blue jeans, etc. Same accounts for bed linen, towels, blankets, and other home textiles. If there is still a surplus, plan a second round of cleaning out. That can happen on a different day, but continue until you feel you really keep those things that you really use and need.
These are just a few simple clean out tips for the bedroom. I am no Marie Kondo and I am no minimalist, but I think every now and then it is time to let go of the surplus things we accumulate over time. It will breathe in new life into your home, make your bedroom airier, fresher and better. You will also feel relieved, energized and maybe we will all turn a bit more conscious for our next shopping decisions. Fingers crossed!
I hope this inspires you to give it a try and clean out your bedroom and wardrobe too. Have you started or accomplished any ‘Stay at Home’ idea so far?
8 Colorful ways to make more attractive your kitchen
There’s nothing bad about neutral kitchens with white subway tile and stainless-steel appliances – those styles are classics. But to be honest, these days people are looking for more color in their kitchens.
To help you create the hue-infused kitchen space of your dreams, here are 8 colorful kitchen ideas:
1. Pops of Yellow
A fresh coat of sunshine yellow can easily brighten up old vintage cabinets. Surprisingly, the color looks pretty and modern against natural-colored walls.
2. Colorful Cement Tiles
Cement tiles featuring a colorful pattern can add a little whimsy to a muted kitchen.
3. Colorful Spanish Tile
Colorful Spanish tiles can serve up heaping doses of color in your cooking space.
4. Bold Colors & Pretty Patterns
To liven up your neutral cooking space, you can use various shades of bold colors (like greens, blues, and oranges).
5. Retro Kitchen Colors
A newer trend is the irresistible retro vibe. This combination of colors and retro vibes add to that “old-timey” kitchen feeling.
6. Colorful Accessories
Colorful accessories can instantly boost the mood in your kitchen. Whether it’s multihued ceramic dinnerware or bright-colored mugs, the pops of color will instantly brighten your kitchen.
7. Whimsical Wallpaper
Bright and colorful wallpaper can add personality and pops of color in your kitchen.
8. Pairing Warm & Cool Shades
Warm-up your cool-toned kitchen accents with fresh and warm wall color. Pairing an orange shade of salmon with navy blue can really add character to your kitchen.
Popular Cabinet Door Styles | Kitchen Cabinets
Looking for new kitchen cabinet designs to spice up your kitchen? Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens has some ideas to update your kitchen cabinets.
1. Contemporary Style
Contemporary kitchen cabinets create a clean, immaculate look with a sleek design.
2. Glass Front Cabinets
Glass front cabinets add extra drama as showcases for beautiful china or glasses. They also keep dust and kitchen grime from forming like on open shelving.
3. Rustic, Country Style
Rustic, country-style kitchen cabinets give a raw, distressed look to your kitchen. It’s best to use this kitchen design in mountain cabins or rural farmhouses so it fits the aesthetic best.
4. Rutt Kitchen Cabinets
Rutt cabinets have helped create thousands of beautiful custom kitchens, and their timeless characteristics appeal to a wide variety of homeowners with a wide variety of kitchen styles.
Is Your Home Decor On Trend With Summer?
Summertime in India usually means ripe mangoes and long holidays. It’s also a time when the kids are home more and you may even have some guests from out of town. If you are preparing for such a summer, you may be thinking of doing some minor decor changes in your home.
1. Minimalism Is the Way To Go
During summer, the buzzwords are ‘minimal’, ‘open’ and ‘light’. Simply throwing open the windows and doors, pulling back the curtains (or replacing old ones with new, light cotton curtains) and placing a few small cushions in bright shades can liven up your space tremendously. Stowaway heavy rugs, accessories and throws for the colder months.
2. Bring Nature In
An easy and cheap way to brighten up the home is to bring the green indoors. Get creative with your choices. Choose planters, climbers or succulents and display them in vases, glass terrariums, hanging pots, bowls and more. They add texture, lend character and purify the air in your home – that’s a lot of bang for your buck.
3. Add Color To Your Table
There is no season like summer to add colour to your home, especially in the space where the entire family congregates. Look out for floral, tropical or nautical-themed accents to add a peppy twist to the room. Try gathering some different coloured glass bottles to display or showcasing a large bowl of water with floating flowers. Whatever you pick, just make sure that it’s bright and brings in joy.
4. Take Your Life Outdoors
With the sun shining bright, summers are the best time to do things outside. Even if you cant head to a park or go on a holiday, you can always have your version of the outdoors in your yard, terrace or balcony. Your kids will love the idea of pitching a tent outside to feel like you are on a family camping trip. If you don’t have the patience for that, try having a family meal outside, picnic-style. You could also spend time outdoors making barbecue or playing board games. These are excellent ways to bond with the entire family.
5. Rearrange Your Furniture
A quick and easy way to change up a room is to rearrange the furniture. If you are trying this in the living room, try to arrange your seating as to create easy conversation flow. Everyone in the room should be able to see each other. Perhaps the seating could point to a centre table where board games can be played.
6. Light Up Your Home
If you’ve stored away all the lanterns and exotic lamps you’ve received as gifts, there is no better time than now to get them out. Hanging paper lanterns, stringing fairy lights on the outdoor patio for small gatherings or putting up a lamplight in a covered porch can all make your summer nights a little bit cosier and lovelier.
7. Infuse Summer Scents
We often forget about the effect that a fresh scent can give a room. You can either spray your home with your preferred scent, light up some scented candles or oil, get potpourri or incense sticks. Because its summer, think cucumber, melon, ocean breeze or some fruity tones.
8. Spruce Up Old Furniture
If you have the time, grab those old, forgotten furniture pieces and give them a fresh coat of paint. You can try your skills on boring old chairs, tables, beds and more to get totally different look in the room. Go bold and pick a fun colour like bright pink, yellow or orange – especially if you are painting only one piece and the rest of the furniture is in standard shades.
9. Add Some Art on the Walls
Art doesn’t have to be expensive. You can get some gorgeous pieces for a steal at flea markets and bargain buys. You could even create your own art by printing out some pictures from a holiday. There are also plenty of videos available of simple DIY projects that you and your family can create together. These will not only transform any space in the home but will also add a personal touch which you will love to show off.
10. Go Casual
When the weather is so hot, you don’t want to go heavy on the silverware. Keep it simple by replacing elaborate dining sets and ornate serveware with glass, porcelain or steel. When you have people over, make sure you serve summery cocktails, light food and fresh desserts.
Top Design Tips For The Right Mix Of Kitchen Cabinets
Kitchens as utilitarian spaces kept hidden away are no more the norm in today’s modern homes. Contemporary kitchens are designed to be more aesthetic and functional. Cabinet designs in the kitchen, their placement, dimension, and quantity are crucial factors to consider while designing a kitchen. Indian kitchens require a lot of storage which is why cabinetry is even more important. In India, many people consider Vaastu principles while designing their kitchen. If you are about to get the kitchen in your new home designed, we have a few handy tips that could help you get the right mix of kitchen cabinets.
A perfectly balanced kitchen features cabinetry and shelves that are designed to keep the usage of the kitchen in mind. Upper cabinets are usually used for storing smaller and lighter items. This could include dinner sets, glassware, spices etc. Lower cabinets are used to store heavier items like large pots, pans, and more.
Keep it to a Minimum
Having fewer cabinets on the upper level can streamline the look of the kitchen, making the space seem open, airy and uncluttered. Keeping the upper cabinets at a minimum also frees up space to display wall art or photographs, thus giving a unique personal touch. Open shelves like the one below also let you showcase your favourite dishes.
Go With The Drawers
Opting for drawers rather than cabinets on the lower storage can mean more accessibility. Because you can pull out drawers, you can view all of the items, especially those at the very back, without having to bend over like you would with cabinets.
Balance the Upper and Lower Cabinets
If you have a smaller kitchen, it might not be wise to have fewer upper cabinets because storage can be an issue (even though you may like how it looks). If this is an issue you face, you could still balance the upper and lower cabinets by getting them in the right shades. Ensure that you choose a light finish for the upper cabinets and a dark/dull finish for the lower cabinets, creating a contrast between the two levels. You could also opt for glass on the upper cabinets which help in giving a lighter, airier look to the kitchen that’s similar to floating shelves.
Plain vs Frosted Glass Kitchen Cabinet Doors
As mentioned, you could go for glass doors on upper cabinets for an elegant, light look that creates a sense of openness without having everything out in the open. You could choose between plain and frosted glass doors (or a combination of both). You can store crockery and display colourful items in these cabinets. Using frosted glass will give the kitchen a light feel while also not putting everything on show. If you don’t think everything on these cabinets is great to look at, and you are simply looking for additional storage, frosted glass is a great alternative. Installing lights inside these will illuminate the upper section of the kitchen and make the kitchen look brighter.
Mirrored Glass Door
Mirrored glass doors for upper cabinets are another emerging alternative. Mirrors are often used in different rooms of homes to make small spaces look larger. It can be used for the same purpose in the kitchen. They lend a sense of sophistication to modern kitchens as well.
Go for Open Shelves
Open shelving is a great option for upper cabinets especially if you have a collection of great looking cookware, dishware etc. that you want to display. Doing so will add a hint of your unique personality to the kitchen design. This can be balanced out by keeping the rest of the kitchen minimalist and understated. Customized, flexible open shelving can be created to achieve a unique look even in lower cabinetry.
How to Remove Turmeric Stains in the Home
Pakistani cuisine uses liberal doses of turmeric in almost every dish, and while this spice is great for our immunity and health, the end-result of this can be a nasty yellow stain that is hard to get rid of. How can you tackle tough turmeric stains in your home? We bring you the low down.
Quick Cleaning tips keep in mind when removing Turmeric Strains:
- Wipe the surface right away, so the stain doesn’t set.
- Use cold water, and not hot water as heat will also cause the colour to deepen.
- Marble is porous, so if your kitchen counter or floor is made of marble, you should always get the surface sealed.
- Bleach and lime are not safe for use on marble as they will cause the surface to get etched.
- Sunlight is known to fade a turmeric stain. If you can allow the stain to sit in sunlight for a while, the intensity will reduce.
- Even if the stain does not go away initially, rest assured that it will diminish over time. Keep cleaning the surface daily.
Baking Soda to the Rescue
If the stain is from liquid turmeric, pack baking soda around the stain and leave it for a while. The powder will absorb the stain, which can then be lifted off with a tissue. Always lift the tissue gently; don’t wipe it across the surface as it could spread.
Alternatively, make a cleaning solution by dissolving 1 2/3 cups baking soda in 1/2 cup of liquid soap. Add another half cup of water and two tablespoons of vinegar. This is a potent mix that will get your counter sparkling again.
Another hack is to make a paste of baking soda in water, leave it on a tough stain and let it sit for a couple of minutes before wiping it clean. Use a microfiber cloth to lift tiny particles with ease.
Try Toothpaste To Remove Turmeric Strain
White toothpaste, not the gel variety, will work for this hack. After the stain has been lifted using tissue, apply a thick layer of toothpaste on the surface and let it sit for ten minutes. Using cold water, wipe it away while minimizing the spread of the stain.
Vinegar and Lemon Juice
Make a solution of white vinegar(not any other kind) in water or lemon juice in water, and wipe the stain, allowing the solution to soak in the stained surface. You can use a microfiber cloth or a scrubber to wipe the surface after ten minutes.
Liquid Organic Cleaners
Organic cleaners are gentle and non-abrasive, and sometimes work where harsher solutions have failed. What’s more, you can apply them in concentrated form on the surface as they do not contain chemicals. Let the cleaner soak in the stain and then wipe it off.
Diluted bleach can be applied on hard, non-porous surfaces like granite to wipe away any stains. Make sure that bleach is never used on marble, limestone or softer stones as it can permanently damage the surface.
Turmeric on Fabrics
Turmeric stains on your cleaning cloths are sometimes tough to remove. Apply the juice from half a lemon on the stain and leave it till it dries. Then, wash the fabric with a strong detergent and dry it in the sun. Note that the turmeric tends to turn red when it mixes with the soap, do not get alarmed as this is natural! In most cases, the stain will disappear entirely in direct sunlight. Sunlight would also cause the fabric colour to fade overall, so do not leave the cloth outside for too long.
Turmeric Stains on Stove Tops or Appliances
Stainless steel countertops will not cause turmeric to stain. Wiping with any cleaner will suffice, and the stain will get lifted right away.
Kitchen open to the living room – how to choose accessories?
One of the long-lasting trends in interior design is connecting the kitchen with the living room. Designers focus on opening the living space in such a way as to visually enlarge it and give household the impression of space even in small room. This solution has its advantages – it brings the household members closer together and makes them stay in the same room more often.
How to arrange a kitchen connected to the living room? It is worth ensuring that the style is consistent so that the dining, kitchen and sitting areas form unity, rather than look like separate rooms. How to achieve it? By choosing the right colors, accessories and equipment.
How to choose colors for an open kitchen?
When we decide to open the kitchen to the living room to gain additional space and optically enlarge it, the obvious choice may be white or very bright walls. They give the impression of even greater spaciousness, brightness and lightness. However, such colors can be hardly practical in places where we prepare and eat meals. So let’s use the growing popularity of gray then. Gray walls do not overwhelm the interior and are so versatile that they can be combined with dark and light furniture. They are suitable for both kitchen and leisure space, and fit many styles. They also come in a rich palette of shades – both warm and cold, so everyone can choose the gray that suits them best.
What about dark and bright colors? You should act a little more carefully here. If the interior obtained from the combination of living room and kitchen space is still small, then black, red, burgundy, brown or navy blue will overwhelm them and optically reduce. The same will happen when our open kitchen open to the living room is poorly lit. Then the dark colors will make it seem bleak, sad and tight. Dark and expressive shades can, however, be successfully used as a color accent combining spaces with different functionality. In the kitchen zone, such a wall will contrast nicely with bright tiles and furniture, while remaining functional. In the leisure sphere, it will add mood to the place where we sit in the evenings. If the remaining walls are still bright, it will not overwhelm the space, it will only diversify it. It will pay attention and add multidimensionality and character.
And what if we want to apply a dark color on all walls? Then you should opt for bright furniture and as many reflective accessories as possible – metallic, crystal and mirror. They will balance dark wallpapers or paint used on the walls.
Harmony of colors and textures does not have to mean boredom – color accents and patterns
Combining the living room with the kitchen, you need to keep the same style and color in each of the room zones. However, such harmony does not necessarily mean boredom and monotony. The interior can be varied and at the same time mixed if you use:
• strong color accent on the walls and accessories
If you choose one accent color, you don’t have to use identical shades everywhere. Pillows and curtains may differ slightly. A slight difference of shades will give the interior depth and originality. However, it is important to keep the same tones – warm or cold. This will keep the consistency and impression of harmony.
You can also use two different accent colors, both similar to each other (e.g. green and yellow), and contrasting with each other (e.g. blue and red). However, remember that choosing three or more colors can give the impression of disorder and smaller space (especially in a small room).
When choosing accessories in accent colors, pay attention not only to the seating and dining area but also to the kitchen itself. Here, it is more difficult to diversify the space with colors, because fewer textile accessories are used. However, you can always match the outstanding color of the tiles or good quality handles for kitchen cupboards. It is also worth buying household appliances, e.g. a toaster, electric kettle, and coffee maker in the same accent color that matches the curtains, pillows, and decorations in the seating and dining area. This will connect all the zones of the room with each other and make them form a harmonious whole. The effect will be the most aesthetic if the equipment will come from the same series.
If you want to mix space in the kitchen with the living room, you can also apply a variety of designs. Recently, not only Moroccan wallpapers and tiles are popular, but also graphic, floral and leaf motifs. Furniture handles with ceramics are very suitable for such patterns. Ceramics used in ceramic handles that we offer in our store is of the highest quality and some models have floral designs.
Why choose such accents? Patterns can effectively enlarge the space, e.g. horizontal stripes will optically lengthen the wall, and small patterns such as dots and zigzags will visually enlarge the space and deepen the impression of multidimensionality. In turn, floral elements add romance, coziness, and lightness to the room.
• metallic additions and distinctive textures
Connecting different zones in a kitchen open to the living room does not necessarily have to be done using color. You can keep the room monochrome and cleanliness by placing only decorations and accessories that are metallic and with a mirror effect. Such details shine nicely and guarantee the effect of visual enlargement of space and brightening of the interior. More crystal and decorative accessories will work in glamour arrangements. These types of arrangements look great if you use crystal furniture knobs.
In turn, interiors with a raw and metallic appearance can be emphasized by modern bar handles. This type of furniture handles come in a glossy version: gold, copper and chrome, and matte: black and brass. Chrome and shiny elements can also be easily duplicated in the kitchen area itself (e.g. by finishing cabinets and household appliances).
You will also get similar consistency thanks to interesting textures. Not only will they diversify the monotonous colors, but they also give depth and multidimensionality to the entire room. Convex diamond-style patterns (consisting of small triangles that reflect light differently at different angles) are currently particularly popular. They look extravagant and modern. They fit both harsh and glamorous interiors. The diamond texture motif can be used, for example, on some kitchen cabinet fronts and duplicated on furniture in the living room or in accessories such as vases, photo frames, and lampshades.
When planning the interior and combining the functions of many rooms, remember to stick to a consistent style and one dominant theme. Try to avoid the impression of clutter and exaggeration. In the kitchen and living room, you spend the most time during the day, so these spaces should please the eye and be completely comfortable for you.
How to upgrade Kitchen Cabinets?- easy way to modernize your interior
“I would change something” … who of us did not say this sentence once, looking around the interior of your home or apartment? Furniture handles or furniture knobs are small elements but have great potential. So, if you have a relatively small budget, and you want to refresh the arrangement, start making changes just with them.
The Internet is an inexhaustible source of inspiration for those who like arrangement metamorphoses. Often, however, our dreams lose with reality, because transferring a colorful picture to the interior in which we live every day is not an easy task. Finance is often a limitation.
But do changes really have to be expensive?
Not at all! All you need is a can of paint, new furniture pulls and knobs, an original furniture handle, and a pinch of fantasy, for the old piece of furniture to change beyond recognition.
Room cabinet handles
A quick and cheap way to make a big metamorphosis can be rearranging furniture, which, however – especially in small areas – is not always possible. A proven method is also changing the interior color, not necessarily associated with painting the walls.
Just choose a new color for the pillows on the sofa, throw a patterned blanket over your favorite sofa, choose the matching curtains and rug, and the interior will immediately take on a new character. To emphasize the metamorphosis of furniture, simply replace the furniture handles or install new furniture knobs in a similar color.
Bosetti Marella and Giusti furniture handles and knobs are offered in many finishes, shapes, and colors. This stylistic diversity gives many possibilities. Lovers of underlining modern as well as classic and even rustic styles will find their inspiration here.
Kitchen furniture handles
It would seem that the place where the field to show off is the smallest is the kitchen because we cannot interfere in the permanent building or arrangement of equipment. So what are our options? Of course, you can repaint the fronts, and a wide range of paints (e.g. chalk) allows you to do it yourself. In combination with new handles, kitchen furniture will have a new face after repainting. For those who do not have a DIY soul, there are less radical steps, such as adding an additional shelf, changing the colors of accessories, displaying cups in a single color, which will bring a fresh breeze to the kitchen.
It is equally easy to replace kitchen furniture handles, which anyone can carry out alone, without having specialized equipment or advanced skills.
– Replacing kitchen furniture handles is a cheap and simple way to give your furniture a new look. You can easily play with contrast by adding, for example, simple black furniture handles, which are gaining popularity recently.
You can also do the opposite – to dark kitchen cabinets add gold or chrome handles.
Why You Should Pick HomeLane For Safe Home Interiors
You are probably reading this article because you are about to embark on your home interiors journey, and are mulling over the decision of choosing between a local carpenter and an interiors company. Traditionally, carpenters have been the go-to source for getting home interiors done. But now you have the option of picking a fully-equipped interior design company like HomeLane, which uses the most modern technology to set up your home’s interiors – from design to managing production and installation.
Here are a few reasons why HomeLane has an edge over your friendly neighbourhood carpenter/contractor:
Manpower to prioritise your order
You don’t have to worry about delays from our side because our factories are all set to begin work (as soon as the lockdown is lifted) and we have the manpower to get started on projects immediately. We prioritise orders based on the order date – so the sooner you place your order, the faster we get started.
Reduced contact at your new house
The company’s installers won’t be staying and working out of your new home for months. Once the interiors are made at the factory, we’ll only come over to install them. Less work required to be done at your house means fewer people working on site. This, in turn, implies a reduced amount of direct contact with us.
When you entrust your home with us, you can be assured that we’ll deliver without you having to monitor or supervise us. You won’t have to step out of your house to check on us at any point. In fact, we will keep you posted about your home interiors on a regular basis. Our team will always be in touch with you to answer any queries that you may have and ensure that you are given complete clarity throughout your design journey.
More time from your designer
You will be getting uninterrupted time and advice from your dedicated, expert designer. You decide how much time you need – to discuss, research and ask questions – before making decisions. Get your dream home done the way you always wanted, in the budget that you have in mind. We are literally a phone call away.
Get what you see, literally
HomeLane’s 3D visualisation tool, SpaceCraft, lets you translate the home of your dream into a 3D visual that you can see, interact with, print and even share with family members. All you need to do is provide your floor plan and your designer can create a realistic 3D rendering with walls, windows, wallpaper etc. The tool offers available options based on your budget and design requirements. Right from your home, you can change and see all the aspects including layout, colour, texture, size, style and more. You can also see the price differences according to your choices, giving you 100% transparency throughout the whole process – something that carpenters just can’t offer. With HomeLane’s SpaceCraft, you will be a vital part of the design journey rather than being just a spectator.
HomeLane offers a plethora of options when it comes to materials, colours and more so that our customers can customize their interiors exactly the way they want. Our factories and warehouses have inventories to meet consumer demand, even in these challenging times. So you don’t have to worry about delays regarding this at all.
Organised & factory-made modular furniture
HomeLane products are factory-made which reduces local dependency and thus can also be made quicker. The factory-made finish gives your furniture a neat, seamless look that is difficult to achieve with hand-made products. Also, when it comes to durability and maintenance, engineered wood which is used in modular furniture, is better than solid wood used by carpenters.
Finally, one crucial differentiator between your local carpenter and HomeLane is the fact that when you pick us, we are committing to a long-term relationship. We are not just about finishing a project and handing it over. We take customer service seriously. With our 5-year warranty, you can be assured that your interiors will not only be created but also maintained hassle-free!
Design Your Bedroom To Encourage Deep And Restful Sleep
Your bedroom has to be your escape from the hustle-bustle of the world. After a stressful day, a good night’s rest is what you need to begin the next day refreshed and rejuvenated. Wondering how to make your bedroom give you all this? Here are some key elements to keep in in mind while designing your bedroom:
Focus On The Bed
The most important element of your bedroom is, you guessed it, the bed! That’s why you should not compromise on the quality and invest in the best quality mattress and pillows that you can afford. The bed frame should also be sturdy. Beds made of good quality wood are often found to be the best.
Indulge In Luxurious Linen
Buying soft, comfortable linen can make a world of difference to your sleep. Consider buying silk sheets and pillow covers. Silk is extremely gentle on your body and it also doesn’t dry out your hair. It is also naturally hypoallergenic, being particularly useful for patients of asthma, shingles, osteoarthritis and eczema. If silk sheets are beyond your budget, opt for pure cotton sheets with high thread counts.
Think About The Lighting
Lighting is very important in your bedroom design. A bright bedroom, filled with sunlight can kickstart your day on the right note. However, if your bed is placed so that early morning rays wake you up, it can leave you sleep-deprived and tired. Installing heavy curtains is a great way to keep the light out and for you to get the deep sleep that you need. You could also get sheer curtains so that you have an option for soft lighting in the afternoons. Use gentle lighting, in the form of bedside lamps and wall lights so that your room is conducive for sleep at night. For an added cosy feel, you could light up some tea lights and candles as well.
Adding Colour To Your bedroom
Your bedroom can reflect your personality but when it comes to the walls you should also make sure that you don’t pick a hue that is too vibrant. Neutral and muted pastels are your best options. Lighter colours also make the room appear larger. However, if you pick the right shade, even darker tones can add warmth and intimacy to the room. If you want to add splashes of colours to your bedroom, doing so with the bedding and décor is your best option.
Your Room Décor Is Important
Try to keep the clutter out of your bedroom. Make sure that you have enough storage so that things are not lying about outside. However, don’t overdo it with furniture pieces – more floor space can mean more mental space. Also, too many furniture pieces can block the airflow in the room. Having proper airflow is vital to create a comfortable room. Accessorize your room to reflect your personality and to create a calm, soothing environment where you can relax. Add a couple of your favourite photographs or paintings on your walls. Also, add some plants if possible. Plants in the bedroom have numerous benefits including removing toxins from the air.
Involve Your Other Senses
Think beyond the visual appeal in your bedroom. The sounds and smells in your room can also affect your mood. Lavender, bergamot, chamomile and ylang-ylang are all used in aromatherapy to help people relax. Experiment with essential oils and a diffuser, or scented candles in these fragrances. Sleep sounds are another popular relaxation tool that is easily available. Try out sounds of the ocean, the forest or maybe even static. You never know what works for you to achieve that deep slumber you crave.
The main thing to remember is that it is important to create balance and harmony in your bedroom irrespective of your bedding, décor and lighting choices. It is the most personal space in your home, so make sure that your own little oasis is a place where you feel pampered, safe and relaxed. Investing in a little luxury is always worth it because you are investing in yourself and your sleep – that’s priceless!
Quick Tips to Select the Right Work Table
Your workspace is usually where you spend the majority of your day. That’s why this space should be conducive to your productivity and your health. While there may be restrictions on how you can personalize your space at the office, you can pick a work table at home that suits all your requirements. Especially now with the work from home (WFH) culture accepted as the norm more and more, you must give your workspace some thought.
There have been many studies done that highlight the importance of using furniture that is built ergonomically – with the right postural alignment and using materials that are beneficial for the body.
1. Work Table Height
Many of us are unaware that there is a ‘right’ height for work tables. Ideally, your desk height should be such that when you type on the keyboard, your arms and hands should be roughly parallel to the floor. Also, your feet should be flat on the floor, and your legs should fit comfortably under the desk.
Here’s how you can find out if a table is a right height for you; Sit in front of your desk as you would normally while working. While resting your arms at the side, your elbow should be at a 90-degree angle and upper arms aligned with the upper body. If your hands are resting comfortably on the chair, it means that the height of the desk is right for you. If you find that you have to raise your arms to place them on the table or lean back, you may be straining your body – especially the back, neck and shoulders.
Keep an eye out for tables with height-adjustable legs, because even though the standard height of most tables is 29 inches, no one size fits all. If you have already a table and cannot invest in a new one that supports this posture, get yourself a keyboard tray or a footrest to correct your alignment. Another possibility is to put your desk on risers or adjusting your chair’s seat height.
2. Work Table Material
Most tables are made of wood, and the kind of wood you choose could affect your work environment. Softwoods such as pine and birch wood are less durable, get dented and marked easily. But they are also very comfortable to work on. Oak and maple are hardwoods that are slightly expensive but hardy and long-lasting. They tend to warp easily according to the vagaries of the weather and need regular upkeep. Modular workbenches or work tables made of MDF or plywood are popular choices. These aren’t affected by humidity, are strong and durable, can be sanded if damaged and provide a flatter surface to work on. Combination wood comprising of MDF or plywood layered over a hardwood base is cheaper, can be put together easily and can be used for an extended period of time.
3. Storage and Working Surface
Creative Ways of Using Photo Frames in your Home Décor
Photographs capture memories and freeze happy moments with family and friends forever. Take a peek down memory lane with these creative ways of using the photo frames in your home décor!
Create a Gallery Wall
If you have a blank wall in your living room, a gallery wall is a great way to showcase pictures and prints that you love. Put together a collection of photographs that mean something to you, and mix and match art images or even 3D objects to make an unusual arrangement. This designer has followed a black, grey and white collection, and juxtaposed graphic prints with posters that go with the chosen theme.
Mix and Match Frame Designs
You can intersperse chunky photo frames in wood, textured bamboo, colourful cloth or simple black outlines to create a mishmash of patterns and forms that go well together. Tired of the look? Spend a bit of time and move them all around, to create an entirely different appearance.
Personalize your Work Space
There’s nothing quite as personal as a framed photo of someone you love, propped up at your desk to give you inspiration as you work. We love the eclectic collection of objects grouped together around the frame, all with a black and tan thread running through to tie them together.
Vertical Panel of Pictures
This is a lovely way to group together images that matter. Pick matching square frames with a simple black outline, and fill them with pictures that tell a story in a sequence. The irregular spacing of the strings behind the pictures adds to the drama, while the pictures themselves are placed in a perfectly symmetrical manner.
Bits of Nature, Frozen in Time
A pretty flower that’s been pressed inside the pages of a book or a leafy arrangement is all it takes to transpose you back in time to the cherished memory of an adventure camp, a childhood friend or a summer holiday. Preserve those good times forever between two panes of glass, and frame them for eternity.
Your Family Tree
Heres a lovely way to put photos of your loved ones together. Your grandparents, of course, come right at the bottom and you can add pictures of your family through generations along the branches and twigs. The branches and leaves can be inked on the wall with a stencil. The best part of this arrangement is that you can keep adding pictures every time there is an addition to the family!
Swap Out DIY Frame
This simple DIY frame uses a metal wire, or even a rope, teased into a triangular frame on the wall, with horizontal lines at marked intervals. You can keep adding prints using small paper clips, and swap them out for newer ones as you wish.
Clothes Clips and Fairy Lights
Here’s a lovely way to string up a collection of photographs using some twine and clothes clips. Twinkling fairy lights that are threaded around the pictures make a pretty picture at night. This is also a great idea for a family dinner celebrating a birthday or a festival, as you can put together photographs of similar get-togethers that you’ve had in the past.
A Staircase Gallery Wall
The wall alongside your staircase is often neglected when it comes to interior design, but here’s a stunning idea to add interest. This designer has used perfectly matched, symmetrically placed picture frames, but you could choose to be just as creative as you would like! Mix and match square, rectangular or circular frames, and intersperse vintage black and white images with coloured prints to tell the story of your family.