We Built Our Own Camper From Scratch Out In The Desert
We are no strangers to camping. In fact, we have been living almost exclusively on the road, frequenting BLM and national forest lands, since 2018, and have gone through four campsites at that time. After a special work that planted us in one place for three months, we set off (mostly indifferent to the horizon) just as the effects of the pandemic hit the nation and the world: March 2020.
But we wanted something better than the cheaply built, often problematic RVs we were used to. We wanted something with hard sides (for safety) but not too heavy and bulky, as that would be a burden to transport along the way and limit where we could go.
A generous pile of 2 × 2 wood – we end up buying quite a bit more
Having a truck already, we worked with what we had. One of the bigger lessons I’ve learned over the years on the road is not to focus on what you don’t have, but to work to the limits and “do what you can, with what you have, where you is. ”(This is a quote from varlet Bill Widener, often attributed to Theodore Roosevelt.)
We recently sold our latest “camper van,” which was a basic fiberglass truck capsule designed for contractors and converted by us for camping. It was low profile and big enough for a bed and some storage.
Now is the time for something more suitable for us.
We wrapped the studs with aluminum flashing, a total of five rolls
The seams were taped with aluminum waterproof tape
What we have done is not perfect. We have not experienced builders. But my wife and I combined our knowledge of construction learned in part during our younger years by helping our parents with various home remodeling projects and building something we hoped we could make happy.
The circumstances in which we built our truck were not ideal … at least. We had no flat terrain.
Lightweight foam insulation was inserted and glued between each 2 × 2
Adding the bookcase; by that time, we had moved to a friend’s house to continue the work
It was north of Tucson, a BLM site with nothing but pale green, shrubbery, some well-chopped saguaros, and all dust. Military aircraft flew daily, along with some private gliders, which circled silently above; even the occasional parachute trainers fell at high altitude somewhere across Interstate 10, barely visible in the midday sun.
Here is the framework for our bench storage
The fifty watts of solar energy we got in wasn’t enough to power tools beyond filling up any 12V batteries for my drill that were old, tired, and barely charged. Naturally, all woodcuts were made by hand.
The 2 × 2 wood at Home Depot was curved, knotted and prone to splitting.
Our budget was very limited due to difficulties I was able to fill a book discussion.
We got this cool vintage door and I framed it to fit using stained wood from an old bed frame
But in the end, we got framed in the camper and had a proper shell. At the time it was light enough to get into the back of our old Ford truck.
Over time, people with materials and various aids (you know who you are, and we always appreciate your help).
A beautiful sunset captured during the construction
100 watts of sunscreen tied to our signature blue awning, made of metal futon, which we bought for $ 20
Finally, the pieces came together and we had something workable. We recycled a lot of material and took advantage of our limited resources, forcing ourselves to work almost exclusively with what we had at our disposal, only by buying things considered absolutely essential.
What you see in the video (link at the end) is a tour of where we are right now. We have plans for more, but the project has reached a point where we are happy to share it with those looking for ways to live simply and cheaply and build their own platforms with a very limited budget.
It’s always good to see free electricity coming in!
Eventually, the camper becomes more domestic; the left “wall” is the bottom of the folding bed
The sofa and roof
We then added two windows to light and ventilate
The “New” truck with a freshly painted wooden flat bed
Then we added some steps
We hope you can gather some ideas for your own built-in project, as doing it yourself will ultimately save you a lot of money, give you the personal nuances, and hopefully give you the longevity you probably won’t get from most anything on the RV market.
Wild horses visiting our back door
Camping in the mountains at a new favorite place
Another of the greatest lessons I have learned and paid attention to: the most worthy things are also the most difficult; realizing something good can and will destroy you until the desire to stop completely. I have felt that many times. But you go on, it’s over, and you’re glad (and probably amazed) that you did it. Make no mistake: living on the road is NOT easy. Behindus behind all the good sunshine, beach campfires, spotless RV interiors and bright Instagram smiles are perhaps a near-train wreck. Vehicles break down, curtains stain, finances run out, plans fail, people fail, the weather prevents everything (although these are things that happen in any life scenario). But van life, bus life and truck life can be a much simpler and cheaper way to live. And if nothing else, you can’t surpass the ability to change your backyard (and your neighbors) whenever you want.
Some perspective … a little life in a big world
Bored Panda works best if you switch to ours Android program
Stay tuned to Feeta Blog to learn more about architecture, Lifestyle and Interior Design.
Guide for Obtaining a Domicile
The domicile certificate was introduced in 1951 to register Pakistani citizens, according to the Daily Express, a Karachi-based daily (26 Apr. 2012). A domicile certification is issued for admission to state colleges (Academic 5 Dec. 2012; The Express Tribune 26 Apr. 2012), school systems universities (Academic 5 Dec. 2012), and government jobs, according to authorities (The Express Tribune 26 Apr. 2012). A residence certificate also is necessary for admittance to higher education institutions, according to other sources BBC 7 June 2012; University of Engineering and Technology 2012.
Federal Government could grant a certificate of domicile to every authority in connection with whom it is satisfied that he may have ordinarily resided in Pakistan for a period of just not less than one year leading up to the making of the application but has acquired a domicile within it onto an application being made to it in the specified format and containing the read the instructions. (Section 17 of Pakistan’s 1951 Constitution).
Obtaining a Certificate of Domicile (Certificate of Residence)
A certificate of residence can indeed be granted by the federal or provincial government, or any district magistrate authorized by the provincial government, as per the Pakistan Citizenship Rules, 1952. Pakistan 1952, Sec. 23. So according to Pakistan’s Citizenship Rules.
- An application for a certificate of domicile should be made in duplicate in Form P, and must be preceded by an affidavit affirming the truth of the statements made in it, and that the applicant still hadn’t migrated to India after March 1, 1947, or even that, having done as such, had brought back to Pakistan under a permit for relocation or permanent return issuance via an officer auth.
- Any authority with whom an application is viewed has the right to require whatever evidence it deems essential to fulfill itself that the facts presented in the application are accurate and also that the applicant has also been continuously citizen in Pakistan for at least yet another year and intends to live there permanently in Pakistan.
According to sources, when applying for a job
According to sources, an applicant needs to provide the following information when applying for a certificate of domicile, his or her name; parent’s name; place of residence in Pakistan; previous address from outside Pakistan; date of arrival at the place of domicile; marital status; the name of spouse; names of children and one’s ages; barter or occupation; and identifying marks. The above information is included in a certificate of domicile obtained from the police website in the town of Jhelum in Punjab Province, and also the individual’s portrait in the lower right-hand corner of the certificate.
What is a Domicile Certificate?
In general, a state government issues a domicile certificate or a residence certificate to verify that now the individual who possesses the certificate is a resident of the state or union territory stated on the document. A woman who was not born in a Union territory but is married to a man who is a legal citizen of that State or Union Territory or is qualified for a State’s or Union Territory’s Domicile Certificate also is able to qualify for one.
A domicile certificate is a certificate that allows people to obtain numerous benefits such as education, employment, as well as other benefits. Resident Quotas inside the Public Service and educational institutions, and also jobs where area residents are preferred.
How to apply for a domicile in Islamabad?
Per the official government website of the Islamabad Capital Territory, anybody who has lived in Islamabad for a year or longer is able to qualify for an Islamabad domicile. Unless they already hold a domicile from some other city, they must have the existing document annulled while applying for just a fresh one. The following is a list of documents needed to obtain a Certificate of Domicile in Islamabad.
Applicants above the age of 21 should submit the following information
- Proof of profession or trade
- two pictures (passport size)
- A photocopy of the applicant’s CNIC is required.
- A copy of a father’s or husband’s CNIC is necessary.
- one rental agreement from the beginning (electricity, gas, or telephone)
- A copy of proof of address in Islamabad, such as a lease agreement or an allotment letter
- If you do have children, a copy of Form-B is needed.
- In the case of government workers, a letter of permission from the department is required.
- a photocopy of your SSC or matriculation certificates
- A copy of a Marriage Registration Certificate in the case of married people.
- A NOC from the native district is required if you have a dual address on your CNIC.
Applicants under the age of 21 must complete the following steps
- 2 photos of passport size
- A photocopy of the applicant’s CNIC or Along card is required.
- A copy of the mother’s or father’s CNIC is necessary.
- 1 copy of a parent(s)’ Domicile Certificate, upon which the applicant’s name appears
- A photocopy of your SSC or Matric certificate, as well as evidence of your trade or occupation
The Application Process For Domicile In Islamabad
The following is a step-by-step guide to applying for Domicile in the capital city.
- Send a PKR 200 challan to the National Bank of Pakistan’s F-8 Markaz branch or the State Bank of Pakistan’s C-03806 District Magistrate Islamabad account.
- Bring your challan receipt, application form for domicile document, as well as other necessary documents to a Citizen Facilitation Centre in Islamabad.
- Wait for your round by taking a token from the counter.
- Pay the processing fee of PKR 500 at the desk whenever you come in for data entry.
- Your e-receipt will be emailed to you.
- Pick up your Domicile Certificate at the Citizen Facilitation Centre mostly on an e-receipt date.
It is important to mention that when applying for a Domicile in Islamabad, the applicant must appear in person with his or her authentic documentation.
The following are the contact details for the Citizen Facilitation Centre in Islamabad
- Address: G-11/4, Islamabad, ICT Administration Complex
- Phone: 051-9108194
- Submission Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday
- Delivery Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday | 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday
- Processing Time: 7 days
- Total Fee: (Challan + Processing Fee) PKR 700
How To Apply For Domicile In Lahore?
Those interested in obtaining a Domicile in Lahore should go to the provincial government’s e-Khidmat Markaz.
Documents Required In Lahore For A Domicile Certificate
Let’s have a look just at the documents required to achieve a Lahore Domicile.
- Forms P and P1, duly completed and signed by the applicant
- The affidavit submitted by the applicant and certified by Oath Commissioner on PKR 50 stamp paper (Optional)
- Two passport-size photos with such a white backdrop are needed.
- CNIC or B-form documentation of the applicant
- Bank receipt with such a copy of the father’s or husband’s CNIC AC Verification Form, that might or might not be certified.
- At least one of the Entitlement Documents listed below will be required.
- Documents proving ownership of property Fard, ownership paperwork, or a housing registry, for instance.
- Electricity, gas, and phone bills
- Certification of residency (rental agreement)
- Documents Academic Disciplines (Matriculation or above certificate)
- The applicant’s vote is registered on the voter list of the UC.
The Domicile Application Process In Lahore
- Have a challan form from the e-Khidmat Markaz or the nearest National Bank of Pakistan branch.
- Pay the PKR 200 challan
- Collect the required Domicile request form from e-Khidmat Markaz. You can also obtain it ahead of schedule from the e-Khidmat Markaz official government site.
- Fill out all the Domicile Application Forms and link them with your other documents.
- Once you’ve appropriately diagnosed your documents and applicant, you’ll send an automated.
- Enter your tracking ID on the e-Khidmat Markaz website to track your application. You could also use their SMS Gateway by sending your application ID to 9100, calling their toll-free line, or installing their mobile app.
- Get your Certificate of Domicile (Certificate of Residence).
To apply for just a Domicile in Lahore, the applicant has to go to the center in person.
The following is the list of the e-Khidmat Markaz in Lahore.
- Lower Mall, Anarkali, Lahore; Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (Town Hall), Jinnah Hall (T
- 042-99214572 is the phone number to call.
- 0800-09100 is a toll-free number.
- Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Lunch Break: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. on all days except Friday | 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Friday
- PKR 200 (total fee)
- 16-day processing time
In Karachi, the procedure for obtaining a domicile and a PRC is as follows:
But if you’re a Karachi resident who requires a domicile and PRC (Permanent Residential Certificate) for educational or employment purposes, deliver the following documents to the Deputy Director’s Office in your district.
Karachi’s Domicile and PRC Requirements
- Unattested five (5x) pictures (passport size)
- CNIC (original and copy) – Attested (for those under the age of 18 years, submit a copy of Form -B).
- Verified copies of all academic transcripts back to the modern year
- Applicants under the age of 21 must provide copies of their CNIC and their father’s address.
- In the case of the government employee, a copy of their employment certificate which has been attested is required.
- Attested proof of residence (electric or gas bill, if on rent copy of rent agreement)
- For married males or females, a copy of their spouse’s CNIC, copies of their children’s identity documents, or Form B – Attested
In Karachi, how to go with Domicile and PRC
- At National Bank, D.C. Office Branch, pay a charge challan of Rs. 200/-.
- Place just one stamp on every copy.
- Before submitting applications for domicile, have it attested by an Oath Commissioner.
- If necessary, the head of the department can demand anyone else document as proof.
- Domicile and PRC Instructions in Karachi
- You must bring your original documents and a set of photocopies with you.
- Domicile business hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- In the case of applying for domicile and PRC, the applicant’s CNIC must have an address in the same Karachi district.
Stay tuned to Feeta Blog to learn more about architecture, Lifestyle and Interior Design.